Some remarkable years of INDIAN ART HISTORY............
· 1850 Madras College of Art is established.
· 1857 Bombay College of Art, later named as Sir J. J. School of Art is established.
· 1913 Rabindranath Tagore receives the Nobel Prize for Literature for his book “GITANJALI”, he is the first non western to receive this honoured.
· 1921 Vishva Bharti Shantiniketan is inaugurated by Tagore.
· 1945 Dhoomimal Art Gallery is founded by Ram Babu Jain
· 1967 M.F. Husain wins the Golden Bear for his documentary in Berlin. Souza Receives the Guggenheim International Award in New York.
· 1973 Husain honoured by Padma Bhushan.
· 1987 The first auction of Indian Contemporary art is held in India and M.F. Husain’s “Mother Teresa” sells for Rs.5 lakh.
· 1987 National Institute of Fashion Technology established.
· 1996 Lalu Prasad Shaw participates in Whiteley’s London. Inauguration of the National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai
· 1999 Subodh Gupta has group exhibition as the Fukuoka Asian Art Triennial (Japan)
· 2000 Anjolie Ela Mennon honoured by Padma Shri Award.
· 2001 Christie’s successfully introduces Indian Contemporary painting to its Singapore Southeast Asian sale.
· 2001 Neville Tuli establishes India’s first auction house. Osian’s Connoisseurs of Art.
· 2004 Swarup Group of Industries agrees to buy 100 paintings of M.F. Husain’s for Rs.100 crore.
· 2004 Subodh Gupta’s artwork presented in New York.
· 2006 Artist Anjolie Ela Menon makes history by becoming the first Indian woman to show at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, Worlds greatest museum of traditional Asian art.
· 2011 M.F. Husain passed away in London.
Sources: By Art Library, By Internet.